If you have been arrested for drunk driving in Illinois, you probably already know the importance of hiring a knowledgeable attorney to defend against the charges. However, you may not realize that there’s a lot you can do to help with the case. Trust an Illinois DUI defense lawyer to handle the legal side of things, but here are a few of the tasks you should take on yourself.
1. Write Everything Down: Details matter in a DUI case, so make sure to take notes on what happened when you were arrested. Jot down the location, the date, the time, and the reasons police gave for pulling you over. Include information on other conversations you have with officers and whether you performed field sobriety tests. All of these details may be useful to your attorney when developing a strategy for your defense.
2. Stay Off Social Media: Your social media and other accounts could incriminate you, and you can be sure prosecutors will take a look at everything you post online. Your comments and pictures could be evidence in the case against you, so do not post anything online after your arrest — anything at all. Make sure your accounts are all set to ‘private’, but do not delete anything you have already posted.
3. Understand the Consequences: Though there may be a defense available to clear you of DUI charges, you should be aware of the penalties you face if you are convicted. Drunk driving is a Class A Misdemeanor, so your sentence could include jail time up to 364 days and a maximum fine up to $2,500. Plus, a DUI affects your driving privileges, so your license may be suspended for one year. If this is not your first DUI, the potential penalties will be even more severe.
4. Prepare for Court: Appearance is everything when you attend court, so dress as if you are going to an interview. During the hearing, be polite and respectful to the judge, bailiff, court staff, prosecutor, and any police officers called as witnesses.
5. Get Legal Help From an Illinois DUI Defense Attorney: There may be additional things to do after you have been arrested for drunk driving, depending on the details of your case. Our experienced DUI lawyers can offer advice on other tasks after reviewing your circumstances.
DUI Arrest Can Result in Serious Penalties
If you are facing a DUI charge — whether it is your first or not — the best thing you can do is to contact a lawyer as soon as possible. When you need an attorney, experience matters. Contact the Schaumburg DUI defense lawyers of Glasgow & Olsson today to schedule your initial consultation.